Description: Internationally renowned doll artist Akira Blount shares her unique philosophies, techniques and skills in creating cloth heads and hands for art dolls.
Media Category: Fiber Art
Course Type: Self-directed (refer to the FAQ page for full descriptions of each course type)
Special Category: Legacy Course
Course Format: Demonstration
Course Begins: July 1st, 2021
Course Duration: 2-hour video
What will Students learn? The focus is on the head and face. She uses a pre-made stuffed, cloth torso to show how to attach the neck, but there are no instructions on how to make one. However, it is not necessary for the class.
Instructor/Students interaction: No Interaction
Skill Level: All levels welcome
Required skill(s): No special skills required.
Supplies and tools: Akira describes each item she uses as she goes, so you could watch the video first and gather supplies afterward. Items she discusses are as follows:
- T-shirt knit, lead pencil
- cardboard (Akira uses cereal boxes)
- sewing machine, scissors, polyfil, needle (she uses a #7 darning needle)
- quilting thread, fabric stiffener (such as Aleene's fabric stiffener and draping liquid)
- Tacky glue (or other fabric glue)
- Drapery gauze, white acrylic paint, small paint brush, colored pencils
- Artists kneaded eraser, Hemostats
Downloads: 1 video
Schedule of activities