Create a PaperClay Bust with NIADA Master Artist Luella Mossom!
Description: A step-by-step instruction with photographs, text and voice over. This includes a list of materials, cutting the polystyrene egg to an optimal skull shape, covering the egg with clay, inserting eyes, building features with anatomy guidance and adding a chest plate. Finally, finishing off and painting.
Media Category: Air-Dry Clay
Course Type: Interactive, Multi-media (refer to the FAQ page for full descriptions of each course type)
Course Format: Demonstration
Course Begins: Ongoing
Course Duration: It takes 20 to 30 minutes to play through the slide show, without doing any work. It should take the student three days to make a head and shoulders, following the instructions
What will Students learn? The Student will learn how to sculpt a head and shoulder plate on a polystyrene egg base. They should then make further heads with their own variations, following these instructions, until they are confident.
Instructor/Students interaction: Answer questions via emails, Facebook private pages, Zoom
Skill Level: Intermediate
Required skill(s): Basic sculpting skills and experience with air-drying clay.
Supplies and tools:
• Paper Clay or other good air drying clay (+ airtight plastic container and bags)
• One or more styrene (styrofoam) eggs
• ruler or caliper & pen for marking
• Mod Podge HARD COAT, MATTE VARNISH (water based)
• small kitchen knife with fine tooth serrations
• 3 sculpting paint brushes with square/chisel ends, 1”, 1⁄2”, 1⁄8”
• Your choice of 6mm glass or acrylic eyes *(see notes in Free Preview of Course)
• small-ended sculpting tools
• small rolling pin or wooden (broom handle) dowel
• sandpaper or Emery boards: rough, medium and very fine
• toothpicks or cocktail sticks
• a wooden skewer
• armature wire (not more than 12"-15" long)
• cardboard tube core from a toilet paper roll
• water for cleaning brushes and tools
• rags or paper towels for cleaning brushes and tools
• wet rag or baby wet wipes for cleaning hands
Downloads: SCULPTING A PAPER CLAY HEAD ON A POLYSTYRENE EGG in PDF format. SCULPTING A PAPER CLAY HEAD ON A POLYSTYRENE EGG .m4v format